PalmSHIELD- Features and Benefits:
For over fifty years, we have been designing, engineering and installing industrial mechanical screen, industrial louvered screen, mechanical equipment enclosures and architectural screening systems. In addition to our custom louvered screen fabrication division, PalmSHIELD fabricates welded wire mesh screen, grating, and perforated metal screen. You can find our work from the base of the Grand Canyon to the midst of the Yellowstone Forest. PalmSHIELD is the ultimate architectural equipment screening. Please visit our website at http://www.palmshieldlouvers.com
Our fabrication division operates in a ten thousand square foot facility that provides complete fabrication and coatings. Our team is lead by a seasoned group of certified welders, coaters, project engineers and drafters. All we do is custom fabricate architectural products. Perforated metal, grating, industrial louvers and welded wire mesh screens are some of our top products.
We have installed other manufacturer’s louvered screen systems over the years. Our experience with these systems was not satisfactory. Our systems are designed to overcome all of our challenges in delivery, installation and sustainability. Having installed hundreds of screen systems and thousands of gates, we know a few things about what works and what does not.
What sets PalmSHIELD above all others is its fully framed manufactured panels and ease of installation. This rigid and robust frame protects the louvers, perforated metals, grating and welded wire mesh during shipping, installation and for years to come. No assembly required. Our gates are manufactured first as standalone gates. We then fit our PalmSHIELD infill panels.
Our system is designed with the installers in mind. All of our panels and posts are factory aligned, then drilled and punched. All of our hardware is factory installed, removed and packaged. We are often not only the manufacturer but the installers as well. Our direct line of communication with the field gives us constant feedback and motivation to get it right.
PalmSHIELD has designed it own line of industrial hinges: the Gorilla Hinge. This hinge uses a half inch thick plate to mount to both the gate and gate post. The Gorilla hinge has a slight offset on the hinge plates to allow the gate to slightly close past full close. This intended design quirk was incorporated because we realize that not everything happens exactly like you want it to in the field. Sometimes, the gate posts are set an eighth to a sixteenth of an inch out of square. This is not noticeable at the post but a typical hinge would not allow the gate to come to a full close if the gate post was not set perfectly square. We empathize with these field irregularities and believe it is our responsibility to find a solution to offer our customers some flexibility.
PalmSHIELD louvered screening and perforated metals, welded wire mesh and grating systems are perfect for providing excellent ventilation while keeping items out of sight from others. Using the industries’ only picture frame design, each panel is rigid enough to stand on its own. Maintaining a consistent design throughout the system, PalmSHIELD can be configured as a series of screens, grills, swing gates and even sliding gates.
PalmSHIELD is custom fabricated to each application, allowing end users to select the amount of visibility and air flow by varying louver spacing or degree of perforation. Louvers may be placed vertically, horizontally or even diagonally.
PalmSHIELD is unique in providing the industries’ widest louver. Each louver is .1250 thick with an installed profile of 2” x 2.873” tall. Not only is the PalmSHIELD a larger profile but the entire profile is sloped providing less visibility and better air flow.
Only PalmSHIELD uses a 3” x 3” x ¼” angle vertical supports. Each louver is welded to the vertical supports. Because of the larger vertical support, PalmSHIELD provides a 2 ¾” weld-able surface to attach louvers to the frame. We use this same robust frame for our welded wire mesh, perforated metal panels, and grating.
What makes PalmSHIELD the very best louvered system is the use of a 3” x 3” x ¼” angle top and bottom cap. Most systems do not provide a rigid top cap. A top cap is critical in protecting the panel from falling debris, hail, etc. while the bottom cap protects the louvers from foot traffic and mowers.
The vertical supports and horizontal caps are welded together to form the industries’ only picture frame design. This design provides a rigid framework to support the louvers, perforated metal, welded wire mesh and grating from twisting and warping also making it easy to remove and reinstall if necessary.
PalmSHIELD uses a 2” x 1/8” aluminum flat bar not to exceed 24” apart to support the louvers between the framework. This support prevents intruders from attempting to spread the louvers apart to gain access.
Larger than most systems, PalmSHIELD uses a 4” square x ¼” or 3/8” wall post. The larger and thicker walled posts is suited for high wind and snow loads. Posts are typically about sixty inches on center.
All nuts, bolts and fasteners are stainless steel. If gates are incorporated into your system, only our Gorilla hinges will be allowed.
After fabrication is completed, all materials are carefully sweep blasted and powder coated. The most important part to any coating system is the preparation of the materials. Sweep blasting removes any foreign debris and opens the aluminum up for adhesion. Custom colors are available. PalmSHIELD uses polyester powder coating in accordance with material hardness ASTM 3363 2H.
PalmSHIELD is an excellent choice for any mechanical equipment screening, enclosures, rooftop enclosures, trash enclosures, etc.
- Thicker framing materials provides for larger weld able surfaces for the attachment of louvers.
- Thicker louver materials and steeper sloping of louvers within the panel provides less visibility and increased air flow.
- Larger and thicker posting materials provide better resistance from wind and snow loading.
- Solid continuous framing supports louvers independently from posts to keep panels from deflecting and warping.
- Thicker crossbar materials support louvers better between vertical frameworks.
- Custom colors available.
- PalmSHIELD is produced locally.http://www.palmshieldlouvers.com
Looking for a hard specification for your next louvered screen system. Contact America’s Fence Store or use the below specifications.
SECTION 32 31 13
PART 1 – GENERAL
- This section describes the following fence system:
- Fixed louver modular fencing panels fabricated with extruded aluminum louvers and flat aluminum bars including extruded aluminum fence posts and aluminum louver gates. Louvered security fence and gates shall be furnished and installed as shown on the plans and specified herein, overall height of vertical louver framework shall be ___ feet tall.
1.2. BASIC REQUIREMENTS
- Furnish materials, labor, expertise and equipment necessary to complete all work specified in this section and as shown on the drawings.
- Shop drawings and manufacturer’s literature: Provide specifications and construction detail drawings to substantiate quality of materials and provide details of fabrication and installation.
- Submittals shall be in accordance with Section 01 33 00.
- Certificate: manufacturer’s certification that materials meet specification requirements.
- ASTM B 209 – Standard Specification for Aluminum and Aluminum-Alloy Sheet and Plate.
- ASTM B 221 – Standard Specification for Aluminum and Aluminum-Ally Extruded Bars, Rods, Wire, Profiles and Tubes.
- ASTM D3363 – Standard Test Method for Film Hardness by Pencil Test.
- ASTM D2794 – Standard Test Method for Resistance of Organic Coatings to the Effects of Rapid Deformation.
- ASTM B117 – Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray Apparatus.
- ASTM D822 – Standard Practice for Filtered Open-Flame Carbon-Arc Exposures of Paint and Related Coatings.
1.5. QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Installation of fence and materials shall conform to the requirements of the fence manufacturer.
- The fence shall be warranted from any defects in materials and workmanship for a period as specified in the relevant section of the contract documents.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
- Louvered security fence:
- Approved Louvered Fence System, Manufacturer:
- “PalmSHIELD”, American Fence Company, Omaha, Nebraska, 402-896-6722 Contact: Todd Lavigne firstname.lastname@example.org
- Material Descriptions:
- Extruded Aluminum: ASTM B 221, Alloy 6063 – Temper T-6.
- Sheet Aluminum: ASTM B211, Alloy 6063 – Temper T6.
- Powder Coating Material Hardness: ASTM 3363 2H.
- Louver Panel Description:
- Louver Panel Height: Varies up to 21’
- Louver Panel Width: Not to exceed 6’.
- Louver fencing system consisting of horizontal, fixed louver,modular fence panels fabricated with extruded aluminum framing bars and supported by extruded aluminum fence posts
- Extended Flange to allow ½ inch overlap of louvers for 100% direct visual screening.
- Fixed Louver Bars: 0.1250 inch thick louver with an installed profile of 2 inch X 2.873 inch tall.
- Louver Vertical Framework: 3 inch x 3 inch x ¼ inch aluminum angle. Framework supporting the louvers shall be solid welded and mitered.
- Louver Horizontal Top Cap: 3 inch x 3 inch x ¼ inch aluminum top cap.
- Louver Horizontal Bottom Cap: 3 inch x 3 inch x ¼ inch angle bottom cap
- Cross Bar: 2 inch x 1/8 inch aluminum flat bar
- Fence Posts:
- Type 4 inch x 4 inch x ¼ inch extruded tubular aluminum sections with solid aluminum caps. Length as specified on the contract drawings.
- On center post spacing shall be as specified in the project contract drawings.
- Fittings and accessories: All fittings and accessories shall be stainless steel and sized as specified by the fence manufacturer. Fence panels to be attached to posts with ¼” x 1” stainless steel screws. Panels and posts are predrilled to support level installation.
- Anchor Bolts: Anchor bolts shall be 5/8 inch with 5.5 inches of embedment depth, zinc plated Titen HD Heavy Duty Screw Anchors.
- Gates: Swing to exterior of enclosure, size as shown on contract drawings.
- Louver spacing, style and appearance shall be identical to fence panels.
- Standard hardware as required by the gate manufacturer for complete functional operation.
- Type: Hinge swinging double gate.
- Welded frame, size as shown on the contract drawings, extruded aluminum tubing with aluminum fixed louver panels to match fencing material.
- Hardware: Size and type as determined by the manufacturer. Provide three hinges per leaf
- Provide 5/8 inch diameter center cane bolt assembly and strike, each door.
- Provide padlockable slide bolt assembly.
- Gate shall have welded frame fabricated from extruded aluminum tubing with aluminum fixed louver panels to match fencing material. Frame configurations shall be as indicated on the contract drawings.
6. Factory Finish: Aluminum fence panels, posts and gates shall receive polyester powder coating
a. Polyester powder coating: Electrostatically applied colored polyester powder coating heat cured to chemically bond finish to metal substrate.
b. Color shall be as selected by Owner
c. Minimum hardness measured in accordance with ASTM D3363 2H.
d. Direct impact resistance tested in accordance with ASTM D2794. Withstand 160 inch-pounds.
e. Salt spray resistance tested in accordance with ASTM B117: No undercutting, rusting, or blistering after 500 hours in 5 percent salt spray at 95° F and 95% relative humidity after 1,000 hours, less than 3/16 inches undercutting.
f. Weatherability tested in accordance with ASTM D822: No film failure and 88 percent gloss retention after 1 year exposure in South Florida with test panels tilted 45°.
PART 3 – EXECUTION
- Verify that final grading in fence location is completed and without irregularities which will interfere with fence installation.
- Field verify all fence dimensions and layout prior to commencing installation.
- Do not commence work until unsatisfactory conditions have been corrected.
- Install fence in accordance with manufacturer’s installation instructions.
- Install fence plumb and level. Posts are plated and mounted to top of surface.
- Do not install bent, bowed or otherwise damaged panels. Remove damaged components from site and replace.
- Secure fence panels with stainless with ¼” x 1” stainless steel screws to fence posts. All posts and panels will be predrilled to support level installation.
- Install gates and adjust hardware for smooth operation
Any louvered screen will increase the wind load on it supporting structure. This has traditionally been an educated guess with a considerable safety factor. However, most architectural louvered screens are attached to adjoining walls and buildings that must meet an even greater wind load coefficient for solid surfaces.
Though PalmSHIELD may be installed as a wall louver where the louvered panels are installed like windows and attached to the building structure; PalmSHIELD louvers has its own independent structure that classifies it as a standalone louvered equipment screen system. It’s this independent structure that carries the load of assuring the overall system meets the latest IBC and UBC codes.
PalmSHIELD has been designed and engineered to meet these codes. Through measured calculations, PalmSHIELD’ s louvered panels with an 80% opening has a horizontal load of 19 psf. This wind load calculation is based on 100 mph winds which complies with the 30psf load requirement on solid building surfaces.
This load calculation is then used in calculating the design of the structural post system that supports the panels. From this calculation, we can determine post design, material selection and post spacing. By applying this load to the square footage of the panel size; we can properly estimate these specifications on a per case basis. It must be stated that these are only estimated loads because loading will vary exponentially based on the height of the panels. Not all wind loading is equal top to bottom of the louvered panel. For actual engineered calculations, each system must be independently engineered by a registered engineer within the jurisdiction it will be installed. This level of engineering is not included in the standard PalmSHIELD quote. If local stamped engineering is required for your system, please indicate so at time of quote. We will contact a local engineer in the respective jurisdiction and work directly with them to provide the necessary calculations.
What is important to recognize is that PalmSHIELD is just not another louvered screen system manufacturer. We design each system with the customer in mind.